Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Birthday Blast (redux)

I had every intention of using today's card for my blog hop last week.  I had created it for a birthday in December and held off posting it, waiting for the hop.  Then I started making a box to go with the card, but things took a turn, and once the box was completed, I didn't think the card matched it.  Back to the drawing board.  But I was excited to end up with this (which was featured in the blog hop over the past few days):

So on to the first card I made using Birthday Blast, a new set featured in the Occasions Catalog.  You'll note a similar color theme, but a much different card:

This card took on a life of it's own.  Does that ever happen to you?  I started with an idea - the star die cut - and this card just grew!

The Star Blast dies are edgelits, meaning that you can make the bottom part as long/short as you want.  Once the stars were cut, I ran the bottom through the Big Shot with the Festive Embossing Folder.  I liked the size, so the card became a 5" x 5" square.

And then there's that frame...I'm in love with the Tasty Treats Designer Series Paper.  I wanted to use the Watermelon Wonder-striped piece on this card, and kept trying to layer it.  When none of the ideas worked, I simply cut a square hole in the center of the paper and used it as a frame - voila!

That allowed me to add the squiggles in the corners (this is one of the included dies in the Star Blast Edgelits set), and I also cut more stars using Pool Party and Silver Glimmer Paper.

What a fun way to celebrate!

All supplies used can be purchased in my online store by clicking on the photo below:




Product List

No comments: